1/8" S4S Dimensional Walnut Wood
Black Walnut (juglans nigra) is the king of all North American hardwood species. We produce our dimensional walnut lumber through careful log selection, steaming for uniform color, air drying, kiln drying, stress relief and final inspection before we bring it into our dimension mill where it is meticulously machined to size. Our dimensional products achieve the highest quality, stability and color consistency that the industry has to offer.
Walnut is well known for its strength, machinability, stability, beauty and warmth to human touch. It is an ideal choice for fine furniture, table and bar counter tops or as an accent to mix with other wood species. It is also commonly used in the automobile industry, knife making and for gunstocks for its luxurious appearance. When finished, black walnut is dark with distinct grain features. Walnut’s color naturally lightens and shifts hue as it ages.
- 1/8" surfaced 4 sides (S4S) black walnut stock.
- Widths are finished at true measurement (nominal width) or wider. (See tolerance chart.)
- Lumber is very carefully dry-kilned to 6-8% M.C. (moisture content) and then stress relieved. This produces lumber that is free of internal stress, flat, and very stable.
- Our dimensioned walnut is slowly steamed for color consistency and is ready to take any finish. Our walnut is ranked the most consistent color that the industry offers.
- Very low sap to heartwood ratio with a minimum 95% heartwood on one face.
Working with Walnut Lumber
Due to its tight grain and consistent texture, dimensioned black walnut is typically very easy to machine. While we prefer oil and wax as finishes to show off its beautiful natural grain and character, black walnut will easily accept any other stain and finishing material such as lacquer and polyurethane. We suggest that you always wear a protective mask as the dust may be harmful to your health.
What is Walnut Wood used for?
Walnut is a strong, durable wood that is easy to work with. Our thin stock can be used for a variety of crafts, laser cut and scroll saw projects. With its combination of beauty, strength, and durability, black walnut is truly one of the best wood choices available to craftsmen.
Please protect yourself with a high quality mask while working with walnut wood